I Can Now Convert Out of Print Paperbacks to HTML to read on my EBW!!!

I finally discovered that my scanner's software - an HP Scanjet 4890 is bundled with OCR (optical character recognition) and how to use it of course!

Here is how I am able to scan in my out of print books and digitize them so I can read them on my EBW 1150.

  1. Start the HP Solution Center
  2. Click Scan Document
  3. In the HP Scanning Software, in the Scan To drop-down list Click Save to File and then select HTML (*.html)
  4. Click Scan
If a preview is displayed, make any adjustments to the scan that you want, then click Accept. Continue scanning until you are finished.

Now, it needs some slight adjustments - I prefer to do them in Notepad - so open the document or scan as it may be called in Notepad.

I prefer to separate the paragraphs with more than just the indentation of the next paragraph. To do this:

Click Edit and then Replace

Enter "

"

in the "Find What" field.
Enter "


"

in the "Replace With" field
Click Replace All.

I also found the text size to be a little small to be comfortable. To change this:

Click Edit and then Replace

Enter font-size:10pt in the "Find What" field.
Enter font-size:12pt in the "Replace With" field.
Click Replace All.

Now go up and click on File, then Save As

Enter in the file name you want to save this document as, with .html at the end of the name.

That's it! Now you can upload this html file to your personal content at eBookwise or Filament books and then download it to your eBookwise Reader!